Nigerian Meteorological Company (NiMet) had in January 2020 declared some LGAs in Imo and Abia States as extremely possible flood danger areas. Among the many locations listed inside Abia State as a extremely possible flood danger location in 2020, is Umunneochi LGA whereas others are Osisioma-Ngwa, Isiala-Ngwa North and Ukwa West LGA.
The others are Ukwa-East, Umuahia-North, Umuahia-South and Obingwa LGA.
Earlier than you share dramatic flooding footage from Ariaria space, kindly word the next:
1. Ariaria Worldwide Market, Aba, which is greater than 44 years previous, is situated inside Osisioma Ngwa LGA which is included within the NiMet forecast
2. Aba, the industrial nerve middle of the South East is situated inside a low mendacity heavy rain belt and the present location of Ariaria market is within the lowest mendacity space, west of town, whereas Ngwa Highway (Ndiegoro space) is situated throughout the lowest mendacity level within the jap axis of town.
3. In its early days, the Ikpeazu administration famous the above (2) and promptly designed a plan to reconstruct Ariaria Worldwide Market (see 3D image), introduced in a international investor to ship the mission however the merchants vehemently resisted it, adopted that up by refusing to maneuver and actually walked out on the newest assembly organized to supply them different lodging and incentives to maneuver pending when the proposed reworked market was accomplished (This may be onfirmed from hooked up remark of the Chairman of the Market Committee, Mr Okeke Chigozie Stephen).
4. There have been drainage paths constructed initially available in the market however a number of the merchants blocked the drains by constructing unlawful buildings on the trail and completely distorted the grasp plan of the 44 years previous market. Similar merchants are on the forefront of resisting makes an attempt to reconstruct the marketplace for causes that trouble on selfishness.
5. But, to help buying and selling actions, tne authorities launched into tne Ifeobara Pond flood administration and the continued reconstruction of Brass-Faulks (Ariaria) mission by Setraco Development Firm that has ensured that, for the primary time in many years, automobiles can transfer from Specific Junction by Faulks Highway to Brass Avenue alongside Aba-Owerri Highway, along with Three different roads completed by the administration to hyperlink up Ariaria market space.
6. There may be an unoccupied model new “Aba Mall” in Osisioma LGA completed by personal buyers underneath the previous administration that has been ready for no less than a phase of Ariaria market merchants to maneuver to and permit for full, partial or phased reconstruction of Ariaria market.
7. Underneath the watch of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu, some inside Roads in Ariaria had been rehabilitated and new drains constructed to evacuate storm water by the brand new 6.5km underground drainage pipe completed by the administration however the merchants proceed to dam the interior drains by dumping wastes into them and placing up makeshift buying and selling buildings on the trail.
If the prediction of heavy rainfall and flooding of Osisioma Ngwa space from hydrological and meteorological companies maintain true then Ariaria Worldwide Market and surrounding communities will certainly be closely impacted.
Quite than rent pay per publication photographers to share actual and faux dramatic flood footage from the market, tne merchants have to work with the federal government to make sure rapid evacuation to any of the choice markets, or, within the least, start rapid desilting of gutters and removing of unlawful buildings constructed on drainage methods.
Other than the work already completed on the Ifeobara-Faulks Highway space, the Ikpeazu administration additionally moved to unravel the perennial flooding problem on the Ndiegoro axis by partnering with the World Financial institution to start the continued N27.4bn flood management mission that features whole reconstruction of Ngwa, Obohia, Ohanku and Uratta roads with a spur to PH Highway in addition to a large underground drainage by Ngwa street to Aba Waterside. That’s by far the most important, essentially the most formidable and essentially the most audacious effort made to unravel the perennial Ndiegoro flooding drawback that made late Chief Sam Mbakwe weep due to neglect by the federal authorities.
Until Ariaria merchants heed the warning from federal and state companies and do the needful right now, there’ll seemingly be extra dramatic footage from Ariaria space within the coming days and years. As we are saying in Igbo land, “Ukpana okpoko gburu nti tiri ya”, will certainly apply.
Abia State Authorities is ever able to help long run options to the Ariaria flooding problem with a prepared plan to humanely relocate the merchants with out inflicting undue hardship to our folks.
For now, it’s to the credit score of the federal government that whereas the administration has not been in a position to cease heavy rains from falling in Aba we’ve ensured that lower than an hour after the heaviest of rains, flood water will seamlessly observe the newly constructed drains scattered round Aba to the pure storm water assortment level in Aba Waterside.
Chief John Okiyi Kalu, Igbiji Aku Mba Nke Mbu, writes from Umuahia.